Creative Reuse: Plastic Bags into Handmade Fabric
01/15/2023 @ 10:30 am - 1:30 pm CST$50.00
Do you collect plastic bags? Are you wondering what possibilities disposable single use plastic has?
Billions of plastic bags are shoved into landfills every year. Most cannot be recycled and often are just used once before finding their way into the trash.
But what if there was another way? To transform this material into something new?
In this workshop, we will learn the ins and outs of plastic and how it can be sorted and made into a strong reusable fabric material by using a simple clothing iron and some paper to make new objects.
CAUTION: The wood shop can get hot during the summer months so please make sure to wear the proper attire, bring a water bottle, and take breaks as needed. You also have access to our air conditioned offices to cool off.
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR
Hello! My name is Skelly (b. Chicago) and I am a Chicago-based artist, teacher, and fabricator. My projects explore memory, psychology, symbols and the poetics of making. Material and process draw memory out of my system and conjure narrative through intuitive making and performance. My works are explorations in daydreaming and induce the fleeting yet familiar lucidity of waking life. Through dream and memory recall, I reveal my subliminal longing for home, youth, and innocence, alongside fears of loss, dislocation, and amnesia. The lines between reminiscence and reality are blurred, between memory and sensation, nostalgia and novelty. Often, works become a series of memories entangled in each other. Maps, for inward thinking and contemplation.
I enjoy exploring the depths of material and how it is used, appreciated, and discarded. This has given me a broader perspective on various materials, as well as their ecological impact. My practice revolves around the interception between an object and the trash can. This becomes my space to think, how can this object have a new life? Why was it being thrown away in the first place? This can definitely be used for something…. Ideas fill my head as material accumulates and the transformation begins. Objects gain new life and I learn to understand the material better.
NEW CANCELLATION POLICY EFFECTIVE 11/01/21
REFUNDS AND EXCHANGES
If you can’t make it to a class, you can transfer your ticket to someone else. Please email email@example.com with their name and email address.
If Rebuilding Exchange needs to cancel a workshop, we will notify you 24 hours before the class and give you the option of refund or reschedule.
We do not currently offer other refunds or transfers between classes.
STUDENT SAFETY DURING COVID
Your safety is our highest priority at Rebuilding Exchange, so we have put safety protocols in place for all of our in-person workshops to keep everyone safe. Those protocols are:
- Reduced class sizes (no more than 8 participants in a class).
- All instructors, assistants, and participants are no longer required to wear masks while attending workshops, but we still strongly encourage them (we do not have enough masks to provide to everyone, so you must provide your own mask).
- Instructors and participants may be required to have their temperature taken (using a touchless thermometer) prior to the start of the class.
- Social distancing will be implemented when possible and appropriate.
- Breaks will be provided during the class for handwashing.
- Everyone should follow recommended safety precautions, such as coughing into your elbow and refraining from touching their face.
- All of the tools, equipment, door handles, cabinet and drawer handles, etc. that are touched will be disinfected both before and after the workshop.
Workshop Policies: Please review policies below before committing to a workshop.
- All workshops are 18+; no woodworking experience necessary;
- If Rebuilding Exchange needs to cancel a workshop, we will notify you 24 before the class and give you the option of refund or reschedule;
- If you are unable to attend your one-time workshop, email us 48-hours before the class starts. If you are unable to make your series class, email us one week before the class starts;
- Materials are included in the fee for the workshop; and
- One couple’s ticket allows for two people to make one item together.